Thursday, July 31, 2008

things pondered

It’s been a week yet it seems more like months. A week ago today I pulled into Stafford, VA along with my stellar parental units who made the trek with me. What a difference a week can make. This morning I took one of the MABC summer interns to the airport to catch a flight to Houston, TEXAS, big mistake on my part. I should have prepared myself for how depressing it was going to be pulling up to the airport and not getting to catch a plane somewhere…say, home!

One of the many things I have had time to think about this week is how much we take for granted the comfort of wherever we might call home. Just a few things I miss right now: coming home to familiar faces who love you for who you are, a starbucks with friendly baristas who enjoy their job and make the starbucks experience worth the 2.71 I pay for an Americano, friends to share coffee with, parks with trails to run, friends you occasionally pass on the trail, church family or even students coming by the office to just hang out. How about chillaxin with the cutest little red head at the park, zoo, tubes, Lolli’s house, etc…, being home when the world’s greatest sister makes the trip back from Aggieland, small talk with mom and dad, laying your head down in a place/town/state/whatev that feels like home. I miss having to solve the dilemma of being parched, waiters on patios who know your name after one visit, light shows over the water, the comfort of friends who understand the occasional need for a road trip, usually having someone to visit at the final destination of the road trip, avoiding smokers outside, fireplaces, I even miss pretending to pack or maybe just all the distractions that allowed me to put off packing. Who knows maybe by this time next week it will be a different story.

For every season turn, turn, turn…. They jacked that one from Ecclesiastes!

2 comments:

jana said...

Sometimes home doesn't even feel right if not everyone is there or in all the familiar places. Miss you much anamchara.

Laura and Ryan said...

I am so glad you finally shared your blog! Its so cool! Keep your chin up...